Winter Olympic Games in Sochi 2014
From the 7th till 23d of February in 2014 in the southest resort city of Russia will be organized Winter Olympic Games. It will be the first time that the Russian Federation will have hosted the Winter Games. Several years all Sochi was carefully preparing everything for this event, and today, when New Year is so close, we can say that our city has everything for the guest`s comfort and joy.
The Games will be organised in two clusters: a coastal cluster for ice events in Sochi, and a mountain cluster located in the Krasnaya Polyana Mountains. This will make it one of the most compact Games ever, with around 30 minutes travel time from the coastal to mountain cluster.
The Sochi Olympic Park will be built along the Black Sea coast in the Imeretinskaya Valley, where all the ice venues such as the Bolshoi Ice Palace, the Maly Ice Palace, the Olympic Oval, the Sochi Olympic Skating Centre, the Olympic Curling Centre, the Central Stadium, the Main Olympic Village and the International Broadcast Centre and Main Press Centre, will be built anew for the 2014 Games. The Park will ensure a very compact concept with an average distance of 6km between the Olympic Village and the other coastal venues.
The mountain cluster in Krasnaya Polyana will be home to all the skiing and sliding sports. The mountain concept is again a very compact one with only an average distance of 4km between the mountain sub-village and the venues. There will also be a sub-media centre in the mountain cluster.
What Olypmic Games can offer you to watch?
- Biathlon (individual competition, sprint, pursuit, mass start, relay)
- A world-class «Laura» Cross-country Ski & Biathlon Center is built for the Olympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi. Sitting to the northwest of the Rosa Khutor Alpine Resort, this facility includes a 9,600 seat stadium, courses, a shooting range, and a warm-up area.
- Bobsleigh (Women`s and Men`s Events)
- A one-of-a-kind track for luge, bobsleigh and skeleton, Sliding Center “Sanki” is built for the Olympic Winter Games of 2014. State-of-the-art refrigeration technology ensures the accurate and constant monitoring of temperatures along the entire track.The Sliding Center “Sanki”, a 9,000 seat facility, is built at the Alpika Service Mountain Ski Resort with a finish area in Rzhanaya Polyana. This resort is located at an ideal altitude for utilizing Krasnaya Polyana`s superior snow cover.
- Alpine Skiing (downhill, slalom, giant slalom, the super gaint slalom, the super combined)
- During the Olympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi, Alpine skiing events will be held at the «Rosa Khutor» Alpine Center on the Aibga Ridge. The Olympic alpine skiing courses will total 20 km in length. The resort is designed to accommodate 10,000 spectators.
- Curling (Women`s and Men`s team competition)
- The “Ice Cube” Curling Center is located in the coastal cluster among the Olympic Park`s various other facilities. The Center is situated only 1.5 km from the Olympic Village.The design of the “Ice Cube” Curling Center relies on a combination of smooth and well-rounded contours reminiscent of the shape of the curling stone and accentuated by the bright polished surfaces of its facades. This creates an immediately recognizable and memorable image of a building that evokes inclusiveness, accessibility and, at the same time, the festivity that is characteristic of the Olympic Winter Games. The seating capacity of the facility is 3,000 spectators.
- Nordic Combined Skiing Events (individual and team events)
- During Sochi 2014 Olympic Games, Nordic Combined events will be held at the «RusSki Gorki» Jumping Center on the Northern slope of Aibga Ridge in Krasnaya Polyana. First time in the Olympic History the ski jumps outrun will be combined with the start and finish area of the Nordic Combined Cross Country.
- Figure Skating (individual men`s and women`s skating, pair skating, ice dance, team event)
- Cross-Country Skiing (individual race, mass start race, skiathlon, relay, individual sprint, team sprint)
- Freestyle (moguls, aerials, ski cross, ski halfpipe, ski slopestyle)